Kinan Guide on the Go


Ruins of the Tanabe Castle Water Gate

Content Number:20840

Ruins of the Tanabe Castle Water Gate
In 1606 (year 11 of the Keicho era) Tanabe Castle, also known as Kinsui Castle, was built at the mouth of the Aizu River by Asano Tomochika, the head retainer of the Asano clan but it was dismantled in 1871 (year 4 of the Meiji era) in accordance with the Abolition of the Han System and Establishment of the Prefecture System.
Even the foundations were filled, and at present the only remaining part of the castle that remains as it was is the water gate.

Listen to Audio


Tanabe City: Historical sites
Back to gSelect Categoryh
Back to the Home Page


{


(C) Wakayama Prefecture